independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 24th Feb 2020 2:22am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Shannen Doherty has Stage 4 Breast Cancer
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/08/20 4:01pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Shannen Doherty has Stage 4 Breast Cancer

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/shannen-doherty-cancer-state-farm-emotional-distress


Famous actress Shannen Doherty is battling State Farm Insurance over her past smoking habits that may have contributed to her breast cancer, which just a few days ago was diagnosed as Stage 4.

She's only 48 years old, and starred in Heathers & Charmed and of course Beverly Hills 90210 to name a few.

She's been battling health problems since she was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 1999.

I'll be saying a prayer for her to live as many years and as good a life that she possibly can.

[Off topic snip - luv4u]



51dewT3cmLL._AC_.jpg

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/08/20 8:42pm

PennyPurple

avatar

It's sad. This is her 2nd time batteling breast cancer. She had a single masectomy the 1st time. Hope she can make it thru this time.

Wish her the best.

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/08/20 9:47pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

PennyPurple said:

It's sad. This is her 2nd time batteling breast cancer. She had a single masectomy the 1st time. Hope she can make it thru this time.

Wish her the best.


hug

If there's one cancer I could forever banish from the face of the earth, it's breast cancer.

30% of newly diagnosed female cancer victims have breast cancer.

And fellas, you can get it as well.

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/09/20 7:38am

PennyPurple

avatar

I work for a surgeon's office and 1 of the docs, specializes in breast cancer. It's heart wrenching to see them notified of their breast cancer and it's heart wrenching after the masectomies and chemo.


And yes, it's not as uncommon as you think for men to have breast cancer too. I too see that every day.


One gentleman had to have a double masectomy and when our office pre-certified with his insurance they denied coverage, because men don't get breast cancer. eek The Dr. even had a face to face meeting with the Insurance company and still they wouldn't pay. It was so serious for this fellow, that the Dr. and hospital did it for free.

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/09/20 8:39am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

PennyPurple said:

I work for a surgeon's office and 1 of the docs, specializes in breast cancer. It's heart wrenching to see them notified of their breast cancer and it's heart wrenching after the masectomies and chemo.


And yes, it's not as uncommon as you think for men to have breast cancer too. I too see that every day.


One gentleman had to have a double masectomy and when our office pre-certified with his insurance they denied coverage, because men don't get breast cancer. eek The Dr. even had a face to face meeting with the Insurance company and still they wouldn't pay. It was so serious for this fellow, that the Dr. and hospital did it for free.


Yes it's a very serious concern. I remember Angelina Jolie got a lot of criticism for her preventative double mastectomy, but I think she did the right thing. I would have done the same thing if I were in her shoes.

And your story about the guy is UNREAL! How is it legal for an insurance company to say someone doesn't have cancer when doctors have already diagnosed them with it?

Don't get me going on insurance companies, they are so scummy. Even worse than Xfinity/Comcast and used car salesmen.

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/09/20 9:33am

PennyPurple

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:

PennyPurple said:

I work for a surgeon's office and 1 of the docs, specializes in breast cancer. It's heart wrenching to see them notified of their breast cancer and it's heart wrenching after the masectomies and chemo.


And yes, it's not as uncommon as you think for men to have breast cancer too. I too see that every day.


One gentleman had to have a double masectomy and when our office pre-certified with his insurance they denied coverage, because men don't get breast cancer. eek The Dr. even had a face to face meeting with the Insurance company and still they wouldn't pay. It was so serious for this fellow, that the Dr. and hospital did it for free.


Yes it's a very serious concern. I remember Angelina Jolie got a lot of criticism for her preventative double mastectomy, but I think she did the right thing. I would have done the same thing if I were in her shoes.

And your story about the guy is UNREAL! How is it legal for an insurance company to say someone doesn't have cancer when doctors have already diagnosed them with it?

Don't get me going on insurance companies, they are so scummy. Even worse than Xfinity/Comcast and used car salesmen.

His policy didn't cover breast cancer because he was a male.

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/09/20 9:36am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

PennyPurple said:


And yes, it's not as uncommon as you think for men to have breast cancer too. I too see that every day.


One gentleman had to have a double masectomy and when our office pre-certified with his insurance they denied coverage, because men don't get breast cancer. eek The Dr. even had a face to face meeting with the Insurance company and still they wouldn't pay. It was so serious for this fellow, that the Dr. and hospital did it for free.


I'm glad you mentioned this. I remember yearrrrzz ago actress Linda Blair (The Exorcist) talked about her husband getting breast cancer. At that time, it was 1 in 1000 men would have it. Years later, Dr. Christian Troy on FX's Nip/Tuck had it which, to my knowledge, was the first time a major male character on a TV show had breast cancer (although perhaps it happened before).

That sucks about the insurance company. What a bunch of assholes.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/09/20 1:02pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Pokeno4Money said:


Yes it's a very serious concern. I remember Angelina Jolie got a lot of criticism for her preventative double mastectomy, but I think she did the right thing. I would have done the same thing if I were in her shoes.

And your story about the guy is UNREAL! How is it legal for an insurance company to say someone doesn't have cancer when doctors have already diagnosed them with it?

Don't get me going on insurance companies, they are so scummy. Even worse than Xfinity/Comcast and used car salesmen.

His policy didn't cover breast cancer because he was a male.


Do insurance policies explicitly state when they don't cover something like this? Or does it just list everything that it DOES cover?

I think it's important for people to know what kind of coverage they have or don't have BEFORE they come down with something. That way they can get supplemental insurance (like Aflac) during open enrollment.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone gets cancer - ANY type of cancer - their insurance company should pay for it. But I do understand lung cancer from smoking is a slippery slope.

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/09/20 1:52pm

kpowers

avatar

Wish her the best

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/10/20 6:00am

uPtoWnNY

Pokeno4Money said:

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/10/20 9:33am

Empress

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/10/20 11:18am

Se7en

avatar

I'm the exact same age as her, and I remember seeing her in Little House and Our House. Long before she was a kind of edgy teen/20-something. I always thought she was cute.

My own sister passed of breast cancer. I wish nothing but the best for Shannen and her family.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/10/20 11:30am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/11/20 5:41am

Empress

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/11/20 7:37am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/11/20 8:47am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

aww.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/11/20 11:28am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Let's not derail this thread. lurking

If you want to bring up politics, there's the handy dandy P&R forum

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/11/20 1:52pm

kitbradley

avatar

neutral I feel for her. Bless her soul. I had to watch my aunt go thru this a couple of years ago. pray

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/12/20 4:34pm

RufusRawfield

avatar

thats really sad...and shes soo young, too.

first Kristina Applegate, then Angelina JolieĀ“s preemptive breast surgery, now Mrs. Doherty..

I wonder why cancer is on the rise these days.........experts estimate that every second person will have cancer in 2040

I've dated outside of my race and I discovered that Good Pussy is Good Pussy and Good Booty is Good Booty regardless of ethnicity...I don't have a Fetish for only Big White Tits, Big White Butts or Phat White Pussy.(chancellor) smile wise man !
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/12/20 6:44pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Also Olivia Newton John

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/13/20 11:11am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Cancer is a cancer.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/13/20 2:08pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Also Olivia Newton John


Yup.

And Sheryl Crow.

Cynthia Nixon

Kylie Minogue

Julia Louis-Dreyfus & Wanda Sykes (both starred in the same show)

Carly Simon

Suzanne Somers

Gloria Steinem

Kathy Bates

Judy Blume

Robin Roberts

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/13/20 4:25pm

PennyPurple

avatar

1 out of every 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime.


1 out of 883 men will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime. ... Actually I think that number should be higher because of the male breast cancer we see in our office on a weekly basis.


Every.Single.Day in our office of 4 Dr.'s each Dr sees at least 4 patients a day, with breast cancer.. which = 16 breast cancer patients a day = 80 per week.


It sucks. Personally I think Breast Cancer is on the rise for both sexes, and that's from what I see in the office with my own eyes.

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/13/20 4:46pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

PennyPurple said:

1 out of every 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime.


1 out of 883 men will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime. ... Actually I think that number should be higher because of the male breast cancer we see in our office on a weekly basis.


Every.Single.Day in our office of 4 Dr.'s each Dr sees at least 4 patients a day, with breast cancer.. which = 16 breast cancer patients a day = 80 per week.


It sucks. Personally I think Breast Cancer is on the rise for both sexes, and that's from what I see in the office with my own eyes.


Do you have any idea if there's contributing factors?

I know with lung, skin, mouth, liver cancer it's smoking, sun, chewing tobacco, and drinking.

Does anything we do increase our odds of breast cancer? Or is it more of a hereditary thing?

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/13/20 7:26pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:

PennyPurple said:

1 out of every 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime.


1 out of 883 men will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime. ... Actually I think that number should be higher because of the male breast cancer we see in our office on a weekly basis.


Every.Single.Day in our office of 4 Dr.'s each Dr sees at least 4 patients a day, with breast cancer.. which = 16 breast cancer patients a day = 80 per week.


It sucks. Personally I think Breast Cancer is on the rise for both sexes, and that's from what I see in the office with my own eyes.


Do you have any idea if there's contributing factors?

I know with lung, skin, mouth, liver cancer it's smoking, sun, chewing tobacco, and drinking.

Does anything we do increase our odds of breast cancer? Or is it more of a hereditary thing?

Personally I think that some of it is hereditary. If you are a woman and a close relative, (Mother, Sister, Aunt, Grandmother, usually on the Mother's side of the family) has or had breast cancer your chances greatly increase. If it is on your father's side, the chances are less. For example: My Paternal Grandmother had breast cancer, her mother died of breast cancer, my chances are a bit lesser because it's on the Fraternal side, it ups my risk a bit, but not as much as if it was on my maternal side.


I'm starting to think that hormones play a role in it also, and possibly birth control pills. BUT I'm not an expert.

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/14/20 7:31am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Personally I think that some of it is hereditary. If you are a woman and a close relative, (Mother, Sister, Aunt, Grandmother, usually on the Mother's side of the family) has or had breast cancer your chances greatly increase. If it is on your father's side, the chances are less. For example: My Paternal Grandmother had breast cancer, her mother died of breast cancer, my chances are a bit lesser because it's on the Fraternal side, it ups my risk a bit, but not as much as if it was on my maternal side.


I'm starting to think that hormones play a role in it also, and possibly birth control pills. BUT I'm not an expert.


I agree with everyone you wrote, and I've also heard that birth control pills could be a factor.

"Be good to yourselves, and each other."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Shannen Doherty has Stage 4 Breast Cancer