independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Aunt Jemima’s Great-Grandson Is Furious That Her Legacy Is Being Erased
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 06/25/20 1:11pm

poppys

2elijah said:

poppys said:


The name Redskins has to go. It's not what Native Americans called/call themselves. No amount of "working" with tribes can change that. Lampshades, etc, were made from the skins of Native Americans, just like Jewish people during the Holocaust. It's disgusting.


I believe with enough pressure he will eventually do it.

Yes, it has to happen. I, and others, were schooled by Reverend Goat Carson in some Native causes, redskins being one of them. Remarkable person (rip). His ancronym stood for Go On And Try.

https://www.myneworleans.com/the-reverend-goat/

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 06/25/20 1:24pm

cborgman

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

2elijah said:

poppys said: I believe with enough pressure he will eventually do it.

nod money talks. money = sponsors

its sad that that is the only way the change is gonna happen. but there ya go: a LOT of people will only stop supporting racism in america when they can no longer actively benefit from it.


.

[Edited 6/25/20 13:25pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 06/25/20 4:22pm

slyjackson

cborgman said:

its not even the actress' legacy. the racist brandname and imagery existed long before she was hired to perpetuate it.

its such a desperate attempt on the right wingers to pretend that an actress they had never even heard of a week ago legacy must be preserved. she was an actress hired to portray a racist stereotype.

she was exploited then and is being exploited in a new way by a bunch of right wing white people desperate to hold on to the racism theyve grown up with and and hold dear to their hearts.


,

[Edited 6/25/20 11:13am]

Preach.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 06/25/20 5:00pm

cborgman

avatar

i looked it up; she was actually the 4th actress hired nationally to play aunt jemima, about 42 years after the character was repurposed into a pancake mascot. looks like it started in 1893, and she was hired in 1935.

it seems like there were a lot of regional aunt jemimas before her too, who did state fairs and so on.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima#Performers


.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:04pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 06/25/20 5:08pm

IanRG

cborgman said:

i looked it up; she was actually the 4th actress hired nationally to play aunt jemima, about 42 years after the character was repurposed into a pancake mascot. looks like it started in 1893, and she was hired in 1935.

it seems like there were a lot of regional aunt jemimas before her too, who did state fairs and so on.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima#Performers


.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:04pm]

.

As I said in post #17 - and she retired in 1955 - Her legacy is not her legacy and it is not being erased, it was already consigned to history 65 years ago. No change in 2020 changes this.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 06/25/20 5:09pm

cborgman

avatar

IanRG said:

cborgman said:

i looked it up; she was actually the 4th actress hired nationally to play aunt jemima, about 42 years after the character was repurposed into a pancake mascot. looks like it started in 1893, and she was hired in 1935.

it seems like there were a lot of regional aunt jemimas before her too, who did state fairs and so on.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima#Performers


.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:04pm]

.

As I said in post #17 - and she retired in 1955 - Her legacy is not her legacy and it is not being erased, it was already consigned to history 65 years ago. No change in 2020 changes this.

im not gonna lie, i skipped most of the posts after the predictible "mob" ones. lol

.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:09pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 06/25/20 6:01pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

IanRG said:

.

As I said in post #17 - and she retired in 1955 - Her legacy is not her legacy and it is not being erased, it was already consigned to history 65 years ago. No change in 2020 changes this.

im not gonna lie, i skipped most of the posts after the predictible "mob" ones. lol

.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:09pm]


lol I know... me too!

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 06/25/20 6:11pm

poppys

cborgman said:

IanRG said:

.

As I said in post #17 - and she retired in 1955 - Her legacy is not her legacy and it is not being erased, it was already consigned to history 65 years ago. No change in 2020 changes this.

im not gonna lie, i skipped most of the posts after the predictible "mob" ones. lol

.

The donnyenglish posts are the key ones. He broke it down.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 06/25/20 6:37pm

cborgman

avatar

poppys said:

cborgman said:

im not gonna lie, i skipped most of the posts after the predictible "mob" ones. lol

.

The donnyenglish posts are the key ones. He broke it down.

for sure. i read the first few.

props donny

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 07/01/20 5:54pm

DonRants

Thanks for all those images....stil wish they bring back her brand.

To All the Haters on the Internet
No more Candy 4 U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 07/01/20 9:18pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

DonRants said:

Thanks for all those images....stil wish they bring back her brand.


I think the product will be exactly the same. We'll see what they do.

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Aunt Jemima’s Great-Grandson Is Furious That Her Legacy Is Being Erased