independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > "Without Fear or Favor"...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/20/20 6:24am

benni

avatar

"Without Fear or Favor"...

Barr tried to fire the SDNY U.S. Attorney that investigated Trump's Associates and has several investigations going right now, including an investigation in Deutsche Bank, Turkey's Halkbank (mentioned by Bolton), and Giuliani. https://www.boston.com/ne...associates


Attorney General William Barr on Friday night abruptly tried to fire the top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, Geoffrey Berman, who has investigated several of President Donald Trump’s closest associates, but Berman said he would not leave.

The clash focused new attention on the efforts by Trump and his closest aides to rid the administration of officials whom the president views as insufficiently loyal. It also touched off a crisis within the Justice Department over one of its most prestigious jobs, at a time when the agency has already been roiled by questions over whether Barr has undercut its tradition of independence from political interference.


Berman, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, and his team have been at the forefront of corruption inquiries in Trump’s inner circle. They successfully prosecuted the president’s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, who went to prison, and have been investigating Trump’s current personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani.

“I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position,” Berman said in a statement, adding that he learned he was “stepping down” from a Justice Department news release.

Barr’s announcement that Trump was seeking to replace Berman was made with no notice. Barr said the president intended to nominate as Berman’s successor Jay Clayton, the chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who has never served as a prosecutor.

Barr asked Berman to resign but he refused so Barr moved to fire him, according to a person familiar with the matter. Trump had been discussing removing Berman for some time with a small group of advisers, the person said. Trump has been upset with Berman ever since the Manhattan prosecutor’s office pursued a case against Cohen.


Ea7KsHsX0AAOrP3?format=jpg&name=large

@GeorgeTrue1 -- Alex's Jones's Razor - it's not that sharp
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/20/20 7:03am

poppys

Good for Berman. So this is the guy who prosecuted Michael Cohen and is investigtiong Rudy. I'm wondering, can he stay in the position until the Senate confirms a replacement? Or can Trump just fire him and appoint an acting like he always does?

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/20/20 7:52am

benni

avatar

poppys said:

Good for Berman. So this is the guy who prosecuted Michael Cohen and is investigtiong Rudy. I'm wondering, can he stay in the position until the Senate confirms a replacement? Or can Trump just fire him and appoint an acting like he always does?


According to Berman, law states that he can only be replaced by a Senate confirmed replacement. How much you want to bet that McConnell and Graham race to confirm the guy Trump wants to replace him with, in record time?

@GeorgeTrue1 -- Alex's Jones's Razor - it's not that sharp
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/20/20 1:22pm

2elijah

avatar

This just in:

Trump claims he’s not involved in the firing of Berman

https://www.cnn.com/



*****
Trump has fired Berman, Barr says
By David Shortell, CNN


https://www.cnn.com/2020/...index.html


Updated 4:02 PM ET, Sat June 20, 2020
Berman to CNN: I'm just here to do my job

Berman to CNN: I'm just here to do my job 02:40
(CNN)Attorney General Bill Barr said Saturday that President Donald Trump has fired Geoffrey Berman, the powerful US attorney for the Southern District of New York who has investigated a number of associates of the President.

"Because you have declared that you have no intention of resigning, I have asked the President to remove you as of today, and he has done so," Barr wrote in a letter to Berman. "By operation of law, the Deputy United States Attorney, Audrey Strauss, will become the Acting United States Attorney, and I anticipate that she will serve in that capacity until a permanent successor is in place."
Attorney General William Barr told Geoffrey Berman, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York, in a letter on Saturday that President Donald Trump has fired him.

*****
Read full letter here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/...index.html
[Edited 6/20/20 13:56pm]
Always smile in the face of adversity. smile
#NOFEAR
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/20/20 3:31pm

poppys

^^WAH!!! it never ends. We have to legislate out "acting" now or every crook will use it.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/21/20 7:06am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

2elijah said:

This just in: Trump claims he’s not involved in the firing of Berman https://www.cnn.com/ ************ Trump has fired Berman, Barr says By David Shortell, CNN https://www.cnn.com/2020/...index.html Updated 4:02 PM ET, Sat June 20, 2020 Berman to CNN: I'm just here to do my job Berman to CNN: I'm just here to do my job 02:40 (CNN)Attorney General Bill Barr said Saturday that President Donald Trump has fired Geoffrey Berman, the powerful US attorney for the Southern District of New York who has investigated a number of associates of the President. "Because you have declared that you have no intention of resigning, I have asked the President to remove you as of today, and he has done so," Barr wrote in a letter to Berman. "By operation of law, the Deputy United States Attorney, Audrey Strauss, will become the Acting United States Attorney, and I anticipate that she will serve in that capacity until a permanent successor is in place." Attorney General William Barr told Geoffrey Berman, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York, in a letter on Saturday that President Donald Trump has fired him. *********** Read full letter here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/...index.html [Edited 6/20/20 13:56pm]


I expect trump and Barr will pull as much of this kind of shit between now and Janaury 2021. Barr is a total shitbag disgrace. Berman acted with integrity and it is said that Audrey Strauss is beyond capable.


Despite the interference from the douchebags pray SDNY keeps the investigations into Guiliani and trump going

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/25/20 1:00pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Barr has agreed to testify before Cogress but I'll believe when I see it - he has backed out before.


Is there enough evience to impeach his ass?


"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/25/20 5:41pm

cborgman

avatar

i spent the weekend with banned former orgers/great friends mdiver and mrsmdiver/shanti, and one of the many things we discussed over the weekend was barr. i contend hes the most likely to be prosecuted after this, even likely more than trump will be.

america has this thing about pardoning presidents. not so much for an extremely corrupt AG. i dont see them holding back on him.

trump certainly is testing the limits of us not prosecuting presidents though. he is one of the most corrupt in our history, and while my gut says he'll sleaze by... he certainly has stronger odds of being chaged than any president before him.

.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:44pm]

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/25/20 5:57pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

i spent the weekend with banned former orgers/great friends mdiver and mrsmdiver/shanti, and one of the many things we discussed over the weekend was barr. i contend hes the most likely to be prosecuted after this, even likely more than trump will be.

america has this thing about pardoning presidents. not so much for an extremely corrupt AG. i dont see them holding back on him.

trump certainly is testing the limits of us not prosecuting presidents though. he is one of the most corrupt in our history, and while my gut says he'll sleaze by... he certainly has stronger odds of being chaged than any president before him.

.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:44pm]


I am hoping so ^ barr is completley corrupt and has tarnished the judicial branch which hopefully can be salvaged with a new adminstration and maintained thereafter.

Q: has there been a ruling yet about releasing donald's taxes?

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/25/20 5:59pm

cborgman

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

cborgman said:

i spent the weekend with banned former orgers/great friends mdiver and mrsmdiver/shanti, and one of the many things we discussed over the weekend was barr. i contend hes the most likely to be prosecuted after this, even likely more than trump will be.

america has this thing about pardoning presidents. not so much for an extremely corrupt AG. i dont see them holding back on him.

trump certainly is testing the limits of us not prosecuting presidents though. he is one of the most corrupt in our history, and while my gut says he'll sleaze by... he certainly has stronger odds of being chaged than any president before him.

.

[Edited 6/25/20 17:44pm]


I am hoping so ^ barr is completley corrupt and has tarnished the judicial branch which hopefully can be salvaged with a new adminstration and maintained thereafter.

Q: has there been a ruling yet about releasing donald's taxes?

i believe he ran out of appeals and has to hand them over.

the last thing i recall/believe seeing is that he was now suing to not have a deadline to do so, cause they want them before november.

i think

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/25/20 6:04pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

cborgman said:

DiminutiveRocker said:


I am hoping so ^ barr is completley corrupt and has tarnished the judicial branch which hopefully can be salvaged with a new adminstration and maintained thereafter.

Q: has there been a ruling yet about releasing donald's taxes?

i believe he ran out of appeals and has to hand them over.

the last thing i recall/believe seeing is that he was now suing to not have a deadline to do so, cause they want them before november.

i think

He is riding such a bad wave of popularity that it might be the cherry on top of the shit cake especially if he loses the election (which has never been more possible and or probable) they will be the centerpiece of his corrupt exisence

"if your voice held no power, they wouldn't try to silence you."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > "Without Fear or Favor"...