independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I’ve never understood why prince was booed at The Rolling Stones concert.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 11 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 01/21/20 3:57pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

RJOrion said:

kingricefan said:

I have absolutely no doubt that racial and homosexual slurs were being shouted towards Prince and the band. This was at a time in America where it was okay to 'gay bash', the 'N' word was used alot and let's admit it- Prince's stage persona at that time was rather effeminate as was some of his clothing choices. This was way before Youtube, folks, so I would think that 9/10th of that audience had no inkling what this petite black man from Minneapolis was going to look like or act like on stage. I'm a gay man and even I cringe when I watch the video for "I Wanna Be Your Lover' because everything about that video screams 'gay' to me. I cringe because at the time most people would have taken one look at Prince, thought he was gay and written him off as another Sylvester wanna be instead of appreciating the music. Again- this was at a time when it was okay to 'gay bash'. I lived through it and remember the fear that myself and friends felt when we would be walking down the street minding our own business, never knowing if we would get jumped. Not a pretty part of our country's past......

your comment is so true...when the American Bandstand episode aired, i clearly remember my mother making all kinda jokes about how "sissified" he was and saying shit like "Little Richard already did that... he aint gonna make it...he sho' is a pretty lil thing tho"...she had no clue, bless her heart...effeminate behavior or not, he made it

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 01/22/20 6:03am

udo

avatar

Why do people do posts like this (the start of this thread), to display their ignorance? Lack of thinking?

Is this showing my age? Then surely the topic is showing theirs.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 01/22/20 7:11am

JediMaster

avatar

Racism was probably a component with some folks, but I'd say it probably had way more to do with homophobia overall. This was a time when homosexuality was viewed as a perversion, and it was generally thought that gay people were sick "degenerates". "Gay bashing" was considered acceptable, because it was considered to be almost as bad as pedophilia (I know...pretty f***ed up). Most homosexuals had to remain in the "closet", or live in areas like the Castro in San Fran to escape persecution. A large gathering like a rock concert, with a bunch of testosterone fueled dudes in the crowd, would have been extremely homophobic overall. Even though Mick had flirted with androgynous looks, and hung out with all of the "crypto-homo rockers" like Bowie, Iggy, etc, he was still viewed as an ultra-masculine figure by rock fans. Mick's homoerotic escapades were viewed more as a joke, or as an attempt to shock, and very little attention was given to them.

-

-

-

Prince, on the other hand, was a petite dude in bikini briefs, high heels, makeup, and thigh highs. He didn't conform to gender norms in any shape, way, or form. In those days, you could get away with a little makeup and long hair, but anything else was considered "gay", and thus "perverse". Prince walked onto the stage, and there was probably a whole lot of shock that anyone would be so bold as to dress that way....it would have been seen as an admission of being a homosexual. When he started playing "Jack U Off", that would have been taken as a confirmation (keep in mind, they probably aren't hearing all the lyrics. They wouldn't have picked up on the fact that the song is addressed to a female. They'd have taken "jacking" as being a reference to male sex organs, and thus decided Prince was singing about getting a dude off).

-

-

-

Also, keep in mind that Prince's music was a blend of different styles, but at this point in time, if it wasn't just straightforward rock, it was considered "disco" by rock fans. Sure, there were many rock listeners who had discerning tastes, and could tell the difference between Funk, R&B, and Disco, but those folks weren't the mainstream rock show audience at the time. Some of them might have been in that crowd, but the majority were white males who thought that everything with a keyboard was "Disco". So, there he would lose many of the people who may not have had the knee-jerk "Oh no, one a them thar queers" response...they would have been infuriated that someone was daring to play "Disco" at a Stones show (even if the tunes he was playing weren't disco at all).

-

-

-

It's a shame that Prince and his band had to endure such abuse from an audience, and it's too bad they didn't get on a bill with someone like Bowie, whose audience would have been far more accepting (being androgynous and black would have been seen as a plus by a Bowie audience). But the good thing is, it seemed to make all of them a bit tougher. After dealing with such a horrible crowd, they probably were able to take on anything that came there way.

[Edited 1/22/20 7:14am]

jedi

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to become offended, for the taking of offense is what rests in the bosom of the stupid ones. (Ecclesiastes 7:9)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 01/22/20 9:54am

PeggyO

JediMaster said:

Racism was probably a component with some folks, but I'd say it probably had way more to do with homophobia overall. This was a time when homosexuality was viewed as a perversion, and it was generally thought that gay people were sick "degenerates". "Gay bashing" was considered acceptable, because it was considered to be almost as bad as pedophilia (I know...pretty f***ed up). Most homosexuals had to remain in the "closet", or live in areas like the Castro in San Fran to escape persecution. A large gathering like a rock concert, with a bunch of testosterone fueled dudes in the crowd, would have been extremely homophobic overall. Even though Mick had flirted with androgynous looks, and hung out with all of the "crypto-homo rockers" like Bowie, Iggy, etc, he was still viewed as an ultra-masculine figure by rock fans. Mick's homoerotic escapades were viewed more as a joke, or as an attempt to shock, and very little attention was given to them.

-

-

-

Prince, on the other hand, was a petite dude in bikini briefs, high heels, makeup, and thigh highs. He didn't conform to gender norms in any shape, way, or form. In those days, you could get away with a little makeup and long hair, but anything else was considered "gay", and thus "perverse". Prince walked onto the stage, and there was probably a whole lot of shock that anyone would be so bold as to dress that way....it would have been seen as an admission of being a homosexual. When he started playing "Jack U Off", that would have been taken as a confirmation (keep in mind, they probably aren't hearing all the lyrics. They wouldn't have picked up on the fact that the song is addressed to a female. They'd have taken "jacking" as being a reference to male sex organs, and thus decided Prince was singing about getting a dude off).

-

-

-

Also, keep in mind that Prince's music was a blend of different styles, but at this point in time, if it wasn't just straightforward rock, it was considered "disco" by rock fans. Sure, there were many rock listeners who had discerning tastes, and could tell the difference between Funk, R&B, and Disco, but those folks weren't the mainstream rock show audience at the time. Some of them might have been in that crowd, but the majority were white males who thought that everything with a keyboard was "Disco". So, there he would lose many of the people who may not have had the knee-jerk "Oh no, one a them thar queers" response...they would have been infuriated that someone was daring to play "Disco" at a Stones show (even if the tunes he was playing weren't disco at all).

-

-

-

It's a shame that Prince and his band had to endure such abuse from an audience, and it's too bad they didn't get on a bill with someone like Bowie, whose audience would have been far more accepting (being androgynous and black would have been seen as a plus by a Bowie audience). But the good thing is, it seemed to make all of them a bit tougher. After dealing with such a horrible crowd, they probably were able to take on anything that came there way.

[Edited 1/22/20 7:14am]

Well-said.

I remember my sister coming out to me/our family a few years earlier(late 70's) and though we are liberal, it was a huge shock and it was pathologized.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 01/22/20 1:25pm

jfenster

OldFriends4Sale said:

RJOrion said:

kingricefan said: your comment is so true...when the American Bandstand episode aired, i clearly remember my mother making all kinda jokes about how "sissified" he was and saying shit like "Little Richard already did that... he aint gonna make it...he sho' is a pretty lil thing tho"...she had no clue, bless her heart...effeminate behavior or not, he made it

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

isnt this more homo-erotic than sissy-fied???

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 01/22/20 1:46pm

AZStreet

avatar

pennylover said:

On here years ago I told my story of this event

I have a different story than most. I was there from beginning to end. I worked that historical event. I will tell my story when I get back. Saw this thread last night and wanted 2 tell my story what I witness. I worked that event and it was freakin crazy. Believe me it was crazy fans from all parts of the world. So many hyped of fans. REMEMBER PRINCE WAS THE LAST ACT BEFORE MICK CAME ON. LAST ACT.

THEY DID NOT COME 2 SEE PRINCE. AGAIN, HE WAS THE LAST ACT

to be continued. wink

Still waiting on this explanation that he was the last act when everyone including the band themselves said they went first.

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"

"Who's the foo singing will it's would"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 01/22/20 4:12pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

jfenster said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

isnt this more homo-erotic than sissy-fied???

neither... it's Jaggerish

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 01/22/20 7:56pm

RJOrion

jfenster said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




RJOrion said:


kingricefan said: your comment is so true...when the American Bandstand episode aired, i clearly remember my mother making all kinda jokes about how "sissified" he was and saying shit like "Little Richard already did that... he aint gonna make it...he sho' is a pretty lil thing tho"...she had no clue, bless her heart...effeminate behavior or not, he made it


Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4





isnt this more homo-erotic than sissy-fied???



lol...arent they one and the same?...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 01/22/20 8:04pm

RJOrion

Prince definitely had the Mick Jagger pigeon strut perfected
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 01/22/20 8:10pm

callimnate

avatar

AZStreet said:

pennylover said:

On here years ago I told my story of this event

I have a different story than most. I was there from beginning to end. I worked that historical event. I will tell my story when I get back. Saw this thread last night and wanted 2 tell my story what I witness. I worked that event and it was freakin crazy. Believe me it was crazy fans from all parts of the world. So many hyped of fans. REMEMBER PRINCE WAS THE LAST ACT BEFORE MICK CAME ON. LAST ACT.

THEY DID NOT COME 2 SEE PRINCE. AGAIN, HE WAS THE LAST ACT

to be continued. wink

Still waiting on this explanation that he was the last act when everyone including the band themselves said they went first.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 01/22/20 8:39pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

callimnate said:

AZStreet said:

Still waiting on this explanation that he was the last act when everyone including the band themselves said they went first.

Great find!


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 01/22/20 8:46pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Rolling-Stones

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 01/22/20 8:47pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

No mention of Prince.

I finally got it to post!!

lol

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Rolling-Stones

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 01/23/20 12:11am

udo

avatar

Ah, I see the reason for the booing:

Prince was not mentioned on the billboards...

So his performance merely delayed the Stones performance in the eyes of the Stones fans.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 01/23/20 8:17am

AZStreet

avatar

callimnate said:

AZStreet said:

Still waiting on this explanation that he was the last act when everyone including the band themselves said they went first.



What does this prove?

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"

"Who's the foo singing will it's would"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 01/23/20 5:30pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

AZStreet said:

callimnate said:



What does this prove?

They are just sharing info/images about the show

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 01/23/20 5:32pm

LovePaisley

Speaking as someone who was around in those days, it was all about people thinking he was gay. Maybe I'm a naive white chick, but it was always all about him appearing gay. No one gave a shit if he was black. Those are the days I learned to shut the fuck up about my fandom, in fact (cowardice I now regret), because I was freakin *attacked* if I even mentioned him. Well that, and called a slut because I liked that music. These were young, white, male, homophobic dumbasses. Even if they didn't agree, not piling on the "Prince is gay" bashing was very suspect.

I saw a lot of it in the dorms too, directed at anyone who was perceived as gay. Why so much of that in the early 80's? You got me. But it did exist. What happened at concert 2 was piling-on mob mentality. I remember asking friends about a year or so later (too lazy to look it up) to go to a prince concert in LA, and the first thing out of their mouths were nasty comments about Prince being gay and what happened at The Rolling Stones concert.
[Edited 1/23/20 17:33pm]
And the MUSIC continues...forever...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 01/23/20 5:43pm

noobman

OldFriends4Sale said:

RJOrion said:

kingricefan said: your comment is so true...when the American Bandstand episode aired, i clearly remember my mother making all kinda jokes about how "sissified" he was and saying shit like "Little Richard already did that... he aint gonna make it...he sho' is a pretty lil thing tho"...she had no clue, bless her heart...effeminate behavior or not, he made it

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

It's amazing how he went from this to his polished moves in a few years.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 01/24/20 8:35am

AZStreet

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

AZStreet said:



What does this prove?

They are just sharing info/images about the show



I figured, but just wanted to make sure, since my reply was attached.

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"

"Who's the foo singing will it's would"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 01/24/20 12:24pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

noobman said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

It's amazing how he went from this to his polished moves in a few years.

Yeah, but in truth Prince never left this above. He always had his unique quirky dance moves. And I love it

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 01/24/20 12:27pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

jfenster said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

isnt this more homo-erotic than sissy-fied???

What would make that 'homo-erotic'?

or even 'sissy-fied'? He is just walk dancing up and pulling the mic?

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 01/24/20 12:33pm

RJOrion

OldFriends4Sale said:



jfenster said:




OldFriends4Sale said:




Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4





isnt this more homo-erotic than sissy-fied???





What would make that 'homo-erotic'?

or even 'sissy-fied'? He is just walk dancing up and pulling the mic?





the farrah faucett hair...the girly gym shorts...leg warmers...his whole demeanor and disposition and mannerisms were effeminate...straight black men didnt/dont dress or accessorize or move like that...sashaying around and flipping his hair and scarves the way he did 1978-1979
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 01/24/20 12:35pm

PliablyPurple

Yeah, I wouldn't even call that a "move," dance or otherwise. He's walking a few steps while holding a mic. But damn, that tee shirt is all kinds of awesome. I want!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 01/29/20 6:54am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

RJOrion said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

What would make that 'homo-erotic'?

or even 'sissy-fied'? He is just walk dancing up and pulling the mic?

the farrah faucett hair...the girly gym shorts...leg warmers...his whole demeanor and disposition and mannerisms were effeminate...straight black men didnt/dont dress or accessorize or move like that...sashaying around and flipping his hair and scarves the way he did 1978-1979

You're a Prince fan right?

All that stuff you said goes against who Prince was.

Prince was not some regular person. He was a star from day one

What male entertainers in the 70s(and 80s) didn't put on the pomp and circumstance?

Is Straight the same as Heterosexual?
"Watch" Lenny Kravitz, Slash, Terrance Trent D'Arby, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth, Jesse Johnson, Rick James... same mannerisms as Prince just different degrees

Prince is not a regular brutha walking down you street neighborhood
And Prince clearly isn't 'brutha' like Wesley Snipes or Tony M who said Prince 'wasn't black enough and he was going to shove black down that ___ throat'

Prince was just 'PRETTY'

You need to take another look at 1970s arts because they were more flamboyant than what you see in this Prince gif
Prince was a rock star, He had the same hair during Lovesexy Batman Graffiti Bridge

It's who he is always has been. If you haven't reconciled that by now ... confused

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 01/29/20 6:59am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

jfenster said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Post Ur Prince Photo's Part 4

isnt this more homo-erotic than sissy-fied???

You still haven't defined what HomoErotic is or what is 'Sissified' <-which is straight up homophobic

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 01/29/20 7:52am

RJOrion

OldFriends4Sale said:



RJOrion said:


OldFriends4Sale said:




What would make that 'homo-erotic'?

or even 'sissy-fied'? He is just walk dancing up and pulling the mic?





the farrah faucett hair...the girly gym shorts...leg warmers...his whole demeanor and disposition and mannerisms were effeminate...straight black men didnt/dont dress or accessorize or move like that...sashaying around and flipping his hair and scarves the way he did 1978-1979



You're a Prince fan right?



All that stuff you said goes against who Prince was.

Prince was not some regular person. He was a star from day one


What male entertainers in the 70s(and 80s) didn't put on the pomp and circumstance?


Is Straight the same as Heterosexual?
"Watch" Lenny Kravitz, Slash, Terrance Trent D'Arby, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth, Jesse Johnson, Rick James... same mannerisms as Prince just different degrees


Prince is not a regular brutha walking down you street neighborhood
And Prince clearly isn't 'brutha' like Wesley Snipes or Tony M who said Prince 'wasn't black enough and he was going to shove black down that ___ throat'


Prince was just 'PRETTY'


You need to take another look at 1970s arts because they were more flamboyant than what you see in this Prince gif
Prince was a rock star, He had the same hair during Lovesexy Batman Graffiti Bridge


It's who he is always has been. If you haven't reconciled that by now ... confused



back then, i liked a couple Prince songs from 1979-1981, but it WASNT a Prince fan at all yet...as a teenager, i was disgusted by his effeminate posturing...i didnt become a "fan" until after Purple Rain when he started to put some clothes on and add some machismo to his persona...and whether you think its homophobic (dumb word) or not, in 1979 any black man wearing processed and feathered hair, girly panties, legwarmers, high heeled boots and eyeliner was almost universally called a sissy, or sissified or a homo...it may be trendy and "cool" to be gay now, but it wasnt always that way
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 01/29/20 8:41am

poppys

OldFriends4Sale said:

noobman said:

It's amazing how he went from this to his polished moves in a few years.

Yeah, but in truth Prince never left this above. He always had his unique quirky dance moves. And I love it


Exactly. And "polished" doesn't always mean better anyway.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 01/29/20 8:54am

poppys

RJOrion said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

You're a Prince fan right?

All that stuff you said goes against who Prince was.

Prince was not some regular person. He was a star from day one

What male entertainers in the 70s(and 80s) didn't put on the pomp and circumstance?

Is Straight the same as Heterosexual?

"Watch" Lenny Kravitz, Slash, Terrance Trent D'Arby, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth, Jesse Johnson, Rick James... same mannerisms as Prince just different degrees

Prince is not a regular brutha walking down you street neighborhood

And Prince clearly isn't 'brutha' like Wesley Snipes or Tony M who said Prince 'wasn't black enough and he was going to shove black down that ___ throat'

Prince was just 'PRETTY'

You need to take another look at 1970s arts because they were more flamboyant than what you see in this Prince gif

Prince was a rock star, He had the same hair during Lovesexy Batman Graffiti Bridge

It's who he is always has been. If you haven't reconciled that by now ... confused


back then, i liked a couple Prince songs from 1979-1981, but it WASNT a Prince fan at all yet...as a teenager, i was disgusted by his effeminate posturing...i didnt become a "fan" until after Purple Rain when he started to put some clothes on and add some machismo to his persona...and whether you think its homophobic (dumb word) or not, in 1979 any black man wearing processed and feathered hair, girly panties, legwarmers, high heeled boots and eyeliner was almost universally called a sissy, or sissified or a homo...it may be trendy and "cool" to be gay now, but it wasnt always that way


You can say all of that about Mick Jagger too, except he's not black. Everybody doesn't have the unisex clothing hang up you had/have either, even back then.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 01/29/20 9:14am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

RJOrion said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

You're a Prince fan right?

All that stuff you said goes against who Prince was.

Prince was not some regular person. He was a star from day one

What male entertainers in the 70s(and 80s) didn't put on the pomp and circumstance?

Is Straight the same as Heterosexual?
"Watch" Lenny Kravitz, Slash, Terrance Trent D'Arby, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth, Jesse Johnson, Rick James... same mannerisms as Prince just different degrees

Prince is not a regular brutha walking down you street neighborhood
And Prince clearly isn't 'brutha' like Wesley Snipes or Tony M who said Prince 'wasn't black enough and he was going to shove black down that ___ throat'

Prince was just 'PRETTY'

You need to take another look at 1970s arts because they were more flamboyant than what you see in this Prince gif
Prince was a rock star, He had the same hair during Lovesexy Batman Graffiti Bridge

It's who he is always has been. If you haven't reconciled that by now ... confused

back then, i liked a couple Prince songs from 1979-1981, but it WASNT a Prince fan at all yet...as a teenager, i was disgusted by his effeminate posturing...i didnt become a "fan" until after Purple Rain when he started to put some clothes on and add some machismo to his persona...and whether you think its homophobic (dumb word) or not, in 1979 any black man wearing processed and feathered hair, girly panties, legwarmers, high heeled boots and eyeliner was almost universally called a sissy, or sissified or a homo...it may be trendy and "cool" to be gay now, but it wasnt always that way

dude, it is simply what it is 'the reaction/revulsion' is just what it's defined as. Prince never changed. He never stopped being the person you were disgusted by. He took more clothes off after Purple Rain lol. Actually he was dressed and covered in 1981-1986

He never stopped being effeminate and effeminate doesn't mean qay, and when it does, so what.

Prince wasn't any Black man. Which is why you on a site called Prince . Org

and Prince knew way back then that he did not want to be put into that 'box' because of your very reaction.

.
So did you have a problem with Al Sharpton and James Brown and their hair?
Sorry lol but almost every male entertainer had on eyeliner and definately were not called sissy...

You didn't get the 70s at all...or Prince it seems.

People Call Me Rude
I Wish We Are Were Nude
I Wish There Was No Black or White
I Wish There Was No Rules

.

Well I'm glad you posted this, ... eye opener.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 01/29/20 9:15am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

poppys said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Yeah, but in truth Prince never left this above. He always had his unique quirky dance moves. And I love it


Exactly. And "polished" doesn't always mean better anyway.

Right, too me he always danced they way we did in the 70s and 80s, freestyle, those moves you do at home when the music is good and no one is watching lol

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://www.youtube.com/w...bs57Kl3OOU
https://www.youtube.com/w...M0JN5IAD50
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your milli
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 11 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I’ve never understood why prince was booed at The Rolling Stones concert.