independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999 original version including the latin-section
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 03/07/20 2:03am

jaawwnn

avatar

rdhull said:



jaawwnn said:




rdhull said:



Are you kidding me?



The latin section is a terrible idea and you know it.




gtfoohwtbs dont tell me what you think I know


lol lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 03/07/20 1:59pm

lavendardrumma
chine

imprimis said:

There's nothing to state what this 'Latin part', if it properly exists, contains (or that it is any good, for that matter). It could be a synth marimba, Cubop piano, and more LM-1 programming; P playing around with a rented percussion set (loosely similar to his flirtations with the sax, for which he took actual lessons); or a competent but random studio sessionist (but at Kiowa Trail?).

.

That it entails the direct involvement of Sheila E, a notion which seems also to motivate interest in this topic, is hopeful speculation.

.



It's likely because we've heard the Latin solos in the middle of 1999, or other songs that help us imagine what that would sound like, when Sheila E. played with Prince.

We've heard the random percussion solos.

I would think the extended section, if it exists, is in the Party, or "why does everybody have a bomb" section. The Conga in the New Master version is a different beat that runs through the whole thing, and they're calling it a "Latin Part", so we have a general idea and we've heard how his extended versions worked.

What's more likely with Sheila and her timeline is they met early on, he was turned on by her and her music, and it stuck with him in the studio, maybe even directly inspired and maybe even with the intent to bring her in for tracking, and it never happened. He could have had the same experience with other Latin percussionists too. We just don't know.


There's no indication Prince had a really diverse musical palate in those days even though he used a bit of everything. Bandmate claim they were exposing him to music. He would have known of a band like War though, and we know Santana was supposed to be a huge inspiration.

[Edited 3/7/20 14:02pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 03/07/20 6:25pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

There's no indication Prince had a really diverse musical palate in those days even though he used a bit of everything.

Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him.

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 03/07/20 7:07pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Hans, for anyone who has had the pleasure of spending time with him, is very much a straight to the point person who speaks in very literal factual terms.

He does not embellish. He does not speculate. He will not speak with authority on things he is not sure about.

The last time I spoke to him about a particular session, he checked his notes from the PP days and replied to me with an exact date and time.

All this is to say, if he says there’s an unused Latin percussion part on the original multitrack recordings, I find it impossible that that would be anything other than a literal statement.

And furthermore, I give no credence to any speculation to the contrary by people who have not spent hours talking to him. As I have.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 03/07/20 9:32pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him.


It checks out, and it's coming from the same sources as a lot of accepted knowledge of Prince's private life. Prince had a vast musical knowledge of what he knew (you can hear it in the after shows), but the rest of his esposure was pretty selective with huge holes. He wasn't known for being an encyclopedic record collector.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 03/08/20 12:03pm

LoveGalore

lavendardrummachine said:



rdhull said:




Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him.




It checks out, and it's coming from the same sources as a lot of accepted knowledge of Prince's private life. Prince had a vast musical knowledge of what he knew (you can hear it in the after shows), but the rest of his esposure was pretty selective with huge holes. He wasn't known for being an encyclopedic record collector.



How would one go about gauging that level of record collector? I disagree that he needed someone to tell him about Latin music. Santana may be pop, if you want to call it that, but it's an introduction to more and there's nothing suggesting Prince did not explore genres. He had a varied taste before he ever met The Melvoins, who like to take all the credit for music he listened to outside of RnB.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 03/08/20 12:16pm

lavendardrumma
chine

LoveGalore said:

How would one go about gauging that level of record collector?


They own records.

They have relationships and talk up artists outside of really narrow predictable genres. If they perform covers, and jam a lot, you hear that depth.

Like I said, Prince clearly had strong musical knowledge of his comfort genres, but he wasn't a musicologist. He wasn't even like Elton John who was known to buy records in every town he visited and had an eddiction to owning every new record out. Prince would get guidance from bandmates or Electric Fetus, and who knows who else, but he had his comfort zones. Nothing wrong with that. You can also hear his taste being widened in the music.

Also the Melvoin dinstrumental demo for Around the World in a Day confirms at least part of that story.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 03/08/20 5:58pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him.


It checks out, and it's coming from the same sources as a lot of accepted knowledge of Prince's private life. Prince had a vast musical knowledge of what he knew (you can hear it in the after shows), but the rest of his esposure was pretty selective with huge holes. He wasn't known for being an encyclopedic record collector.

You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up.

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 03/08/20 7:01pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

lavendardrummachine said:


It checks out, and it's coming from the same sources as a lot of accepted knowledge of Prince's private life. Prince had a vast musical knowledge of what he knew (you can hear it in the after shows), but the rest of his esposure was pretty selective with huge holes. He wasn't known for being an encyclopedic record collector.

You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up.



Yet, I'm repeating what's been said from people that knew him and widely accepted. If it's made up it's not from me.

Paisley Park didn't have a massive record collection in it even at the time of his death.

Feel free to justify anything that you are making up.










  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 03/08/20 7:08pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up.



Yet, I'm repeating what's been said from people that knew him and widely accepted. If it's made up it's not from me.

Paisley Park didn't have a massive record collection in it even at the time of his death.

Feel free to justify anything that you are making up.










Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections... rolleyes rolleyes

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 03/08/20 7:44pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:





Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections... rolleyes rolleyes



You're not actually making a coherant point. Nobody here is impressed by Prince fan pissing contests, so if you've got something to say, then say it.

[Edited 3/8/20 19:46pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 03/08/20 8:41pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections... rolleyes rolleyes



You're not actually making a coherant point. Nobody here is impressed by Prince fan pissing contests, so if you've got something to say, then say it.

[Edited 3/8/20 19:46pm]

I thought I did. You're a troll. Or worse...

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 03/08/20 9:27pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

lavendardrummachine said:



You're not actually making a coherant point. Nobody here is impressed by Prince fan pissing contests, so if you've got something to say, then say it.

[Edited 3/8/20 19:46pm]

I thought I did. You're a troll. Or worse...


I'm really not.

Here's all that you contributed to the discussion:

"Are you kidding me?"


"gtfoohwtbs dont tell me what you think I know"


"Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him."

"You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up."

"Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections..."


What do you want to weight in about Prince's knowledge of Latin music in 1982? The rest is nonsense.



[Edited 3/8/20 21:27pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 03/09/20 1:42am

LoveGalore

lavendardrummachine said:



rdhull said:




lavendardrummachine said:





You're not actually making a coherant point. Nobody here is impressed by Prince fan pissing contests, so if you've got something to say, then say it.


[Edited 3/8/20 19:46pm]



I thought I did. You're a troll. Or worse...




I'm really not.



Here's all that you contributed to the discussion:

"Are you kidding me?"



"gtfoohwtbs dont tell me what you think I know"



"Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him."

"You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up."

"Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections..."




What do you want to weight in about Prince's knowledge of Latin music in 1982? The rest is nonsense.



[Edited 3/8/20 21:27pm]



He's part of the over-sleepy crew who has discussed it all to death for 30 years on the inatanets and now is just a peanut gallery. You can almost always rely on a couple others to come in behind him and slap him on the ass for a good job roasting the newbies, I'm really surprised they're not here yet.

Love u Artie!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 03/09/20 7:01pm

rdhull

avatar

LoveGalore said:

lavendardrummachine said:


I'm really not.

Here's all that you contributed to the discussion:

"Are you kidding me?"


"gtfoohwtbs dont tell me what you think I know"


"Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him."

"You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up."

"Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections..."


What do you want to weight in about Prince's knowledge of Latin music in 1982? The rest is nonsense.



[Edited 3/8/20 21:27pm]

He's part of the over-sleepy crew who has discussed it all to death for 30 years on the inatanets and now is just a peanut gallery. You can almost always rely on a couple others to come in behind him and slap him on the ass for a good job roasting the newbies, I'm really surprised they're not here yet. Love u Artie!!

Says the bad trader/thief. Indifferent about you Chris!

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 03/09/20 7:13pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

I thought I did. You're a troll. Or worse...


I'm really not.

Here's all that you contributed to the discussion:

"Are you kidding me?"


"gtfoohwtbs dont tell me what you think I know"


"Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him."

"You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up."

"Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections..."


What do you want to weight in about Prince's knowledge of Latin music in 1982? The rest is nonsense.



[Edited 3/8/20 21:27pm]

As if any of the bs you wrote was profound lol.

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 03/09/20 7:25pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

As if any of the bs you wrote was profound lol.



Who said it has to be profound? Keep it constructive and on topic.


Sheila E. says they used to jam in her room when they first met, around the time she was playing with George Duke. That would have been before 1999 was recorded.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 03/09/20 7:30pm

lavendardrumma
chine

LoveGalore said:

27pm]

He's part of the over-sleepy crew who has discussed it all to death for 30 years on the inatanets and now is just a peanut gallery. You can almost always rely on a couple others to come in behind him and slap him on the ass for a good job roasting the newbies, I'm really surprised they're not here yet. Love u Artie!!


Thanks, yeah I knew something was up from the territorial snarking coming out of left field. It's like every Prince discussion has to have someone flabergasted in som nonsensical way that the discussion is even taking place, doesn't matter if it's the first time or been beat to death.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 03/09/20 7:33pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

As if any of the bs you wrote was profound lol.



Who said it has to be profound? Keep it constructive and on topic.


Sheila E. says they used to jam in her room when they first met, around the time she was playing with George Duke. That would have been before 1999 was recorded.

Hey genius, that isn't the point. The point is, he HAD had knowledge of latin music prior to meeting Sheila E. And beyond jiust being familiar with the music of Santana. You stated some bs about record collections. That isbnt 'constructive' and yur nonsense doesnt really lend itself to being 'constructive.' Cant believe these types of jokers are whats left.

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 03/09/20 7:56pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

Hey genius, that isn't the point. The point is, he HAD had knowledge of latin music prior to meeting Sheila E. And beyond jiust being familiar with the music of Santana



Based on what? Santana's music isn't a very compelling example, it doesn't make one knowledgable about Latin music. And either way, he's specifically influenced by the Escovedo family then, and his musical relationship with Sheila starts before 1982.

But don't kid yourself...whatever you're about, it's the same crap since AOL, Housequake, the beginning of the Org, etc.

You're hanging around for a reason, so be civil.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 03/09/20 8:12pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

Hey genius, that isn't the point. The point is, he HAD had knowledge of latin music prior to meeting Sheila E. And beyond jiust being familiar with the music of Santana



Based on what? Santana's music isn't a very compelling example, it doesn't make one knowledgable about Latin music. And either way, he's specifically influenced by the Escovedo family then, and his musical relationship with Sheila starts before 1982.

But don't kid yourself...whatever you're about, it's the same crap since AOL, Housequake, the beginning of the Org, etc.

You're hanging around for a reason, so be civil.

Good you think about me. I dont ever think about you. Especially with your lame logic that you just exposed to the world. Aol and now

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 03/09/20 8:43pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

Good you think about me. I dont ever think about you. Especially with your lame logic that you just exposed to the world. Aol and now


Your personalized tantrum says otherwise.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 03/10/20 1:19am

LoveGalore

rdhull said:



LoveGalore said:


lavendardrummachine said:



I'm really not.



Here's all that you contributed to the discussion:

"Are you kidding me?"



"gtfoohwtbs dont tell me what you think I know"



"Bull. Yall love to make Prince out to be ignorant to various forms of music untol everyone he worked with showed him."

"You're ignorant to the world of Prince. As Bart would say, quit making stuff up."

"Are you dense on purpose? Looking for record collections..."




What do you want to weight in about Prince's knowledge of Latin music in 1982? The rest is nonsense.




[Edited 3/8/20 21:27pm]



He's part of the over-sleepy crew who has discussed it all to death for 30 years on the inatanets and now is just a peanut gallery. You can almost always rely on a couple others to come in behind him and slap him on the ass for a good job roasting the newbies, I'm really surprised they're not here yet. Love u Artie!!


Says the bad trader/thief. Indifferent about you Chris!



I'm not sure who you think I am, but I'm glad you're indifferent either way!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 03/10/20 10:04am

Militant

avatar

moderator

FYI, Steve Parke has posted that he was standing next to Hans when they both heard it thumbs up!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 03/10/20 10:20am

rdhull

avatar

LoveGalore said:

rdhull said:

Says the bad trader/thief. Indifferent about you Chris!

I'm not sure who you think I am, but I'm glad you're indifferent either way!

Helix. CM. we see you

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 03/11/20 1:44pm

LoveGalore

rdhull said:



LoveGalore said:


rdhull said:



Says the bad trader/thief. Indifferent about you Chris!



I'm not sure who you think I am, but I'm glad you're indifferent either way!

Helix. CM. we see you



At some point, any point, are you going to actually contribute something to this thread? Or any thread?

We see you too. Right here. Trolling and ridiculing.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 03/11/20 2:09pm

rdhull

avatar

LoveGalore said:

rdhull said:

Helix. CM. we see you

At some point, any point, are you going to actually contribute something to this thread? Or any thread? We see you too. Right here. Trolling and ridiculing.

I see you see that I do know who you are, thief. And I've never trolled in this thread. Its all there to see how this played out and its there for all to see how YOU once again come in to start some shit, as Ive avoided you like the plague since forever becasue of your character etc, but as usual, because you're online, you're an online baddy lol. In all the banned incanatations (Spinlight etc) of your past screen names. You def aren't slick as you think you are.
.
.

[Edited 3/11/20 14:23pm]

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 03/11/20 5:37pm

lavendardrumma
chine

rdhull said:

You def aren't slick as you think you are.

.



Seriously? You've been posting here since the beginning....I'm sure you have a lot you can contribute here that isn't old vendettas, or catty internet politics, barely anyone is privy too or effected by. It's up to you if you want to participate, but the idea is to talk about Prince, not your gripes with other Prince fans.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 03/11/20 6:05pm

rdhull

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

rdhull said:

.



Seriously? You've been posting here since the beginning....I'm sure you have a lot you can contribute here that isn't old vendettas, or catty internet politics, barely anyone is privy too or effected by. It's up to you if you want to participate, but the idea is to talk about Prince, not your gripes with other Prince fans.

I dont have any, this dude is on ME. Read the thread. Plus your theory is disproved as I already stated and posted about. Your theory is nonsensical. There, you like that better? Done.

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 03/13/20 3:34pm

databank

avatar

Militant said:

FYI, Steve Parke has posted that he was standing next to Hans when they both heard it thumbs up!


Thx for the additional info smile
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999 original version including the latin-section