independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > ONE NITE ALONE... THE AFTERSHOW: IT AINT OVER! (2LP / PURPLE / 150G)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/30/20 12:14pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

ONE NITE ALONE... THE AFTERSHOW: IT AINT OVER! (2LP / PURPLE / 150G)

5QLPPR052.jpg

Track List

Side A
  1. Joy In Repetition (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
  2. We Do This (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
  3. Medley: Just Friends (Sunny) / If You Want Me To Stay (Live From One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
Side B
  1. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
  2. Alphabet Street (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
Side C
  1. Peach (Xtended Jam) (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
  2. Dorothy Parker (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
Side D
  1. Girls & Boys (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)
  2. Everlasting Now (Vamp) (Live from One Nite Alone Tour… The Aftershow)



    https://store.prince.com/...317_107503
Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/26/20 6:33am

Rimshottbob

Wow, no responses... nobody bought this vinyl reissue?

Was listening yesterday, and it sounds great, thankfully. Really nice pressing.

I always liked this album overall, it has a fun, laid-back feel to it.... BUT....

listening again I am floored, really stunned about just how AWFUL Musiq Soulchild is on this!

I've never heard of him outside of this album, and based on what's here, I'm going to keep it that way.

Like, HOW was he allowed to even take the mic, let alone appear on the final record?

His performance is excruciating on the medley of Just Friends and If You Want Me To Stay...

He is painfully off-key for starters, and maybe you could say he just couldn't hear himself on stage that night - it's possible - but apart from that, he makes all the WORST choices in his performance. He has no understanding of teh meaning or internal logic of either song, just batting out words in the weirdest arhythmic way, and seems to have little to no understanding of even how to breathe correctly as a singer.

He's filled with cliches in all his performance tics and really sounds like an amateur with an over-inflated opinion of themselves more than anything else.

The WORST single performance on any Prince record, ever.

Interesting that he has to tell you how soulful he is and how musical he is in his NAME.... because you sure won't get that from listening to him sing. Jeez. Atrocious. Just atrocious. There is absolutely no soul in his singing and virtually no music, either. mad mad mad

A shame because it unbalances an otherwise fun and funky aftershow jam.

[Edited 6/26/20 6:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/26/20 7:08am

antonb

will give this another listen, I have the original box set. Have you heard Seal, when he got up with Prince and the band and sang Mountains? thats pretty bad also

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/27/20 9:12am

mrdlf

What about the Malcolm Jamaal Warner rapping at the Chicago Aftershow 06-04-93 (am) - that is pretty terrible too eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/29/20 5:33am

andrewm7

I have always thought that this album would benefit the most from an expanded treatment, make it a true best of the One night alone aftershows including the European aftershows and getting clearance for some of the other guest appearances through the tour

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/29/20 7:39am

rlittler81

avatar

Other than JIR, I never gave this album much of a listen. I got the vinyl and actually enjoyed listening to it, after many, many years, but it's still just a jam session album and not very memorable.

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/30/20 2:49am

robertgeorge

avatar

Rimshottbob said:

Wow, no responses... nobody bought this vinyl reissue?

Was listening yesterday, and it sounds great, thankfully. Really nice pressing.

I always liked this album overall, it has a fun, laid-back feel to it.... BUT....

listening again I am floored, really stunned about just how AWFUL Musiq Soulchild is on this!

I've never heard of him outside of this album, and based on what's here, I'm going to keep it that way.

Like, HOW was he allowed to even take the mic, let alone appear on the final record?

His performance is excruciating on the medley of Just Friends and If You Want Me To Stay...

He is painfully off-key for starters, and maybe you could say he just couldn't hear himself on stage that night - it's possible - but apart from that, he makes all the WORST choices in his performance. He has no understanding of teh meaning or internal logic of either song, just batting out words in the weirdest arhythmic way, and seems to have little to no understanding of even how to breathe correctly as a singer.

He's filled with cliches in all his performance tics and really sounds like an amateur with an over-inflated opinion of themselves more than anything else.

The WORST single performance on any Prince record, ever.

Interesting that he has to tell you how soulful he is and how musical he is in his NAME.... because you sure won't get that from listening to him sing. Jeez. Atrocious. Just atrocious. There is absolutely no soul in his singing and virtually no music, either. mad mad mad

A shame because it unbalances an otherwise fun and funky aftershow jam.

[Edited 6/26/20 6:34am]

Interesting take. I can't agree with the Musiq critique. While his performance is not perfect I could not see it as souless at all. Also I could think of at least half a dozen performances worse than this. I feel the band sounds feels organic and fresh on this track and I like Prince's guitar on the medley so don't see it as bad as you think it is. Still I would rather hear a sincere opinion even if it contrasts with mine and I don't doubt your feelings here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/27/20 11:52pm

zobilamouche

avatar

Rimshottbob said:

Wow, no responses... nobody bought this vinyl reissue?

Was listening yesterday, and it sounds great, thankfully. Really nice pressing.

I always liked this album overall, it has a fun, laid-back feel to it.... BUT....

listening again I am floored, really stunned about just how AWFUL Musiq Soulchild is on this!

I've never heard of him outside of this album, and based on what's here, I'm going to keep it that way.

Like, HOW was he allowed to even take the mic, let alone appear on the final record?

His performance is excruciating on the medley of Just Friends and If You Want Me To Stay...

He is painfully off-key for starters, and maybe you could say he just couldn't hear himself on stage that night - it's possible - but apart from that, he makes all the WORST choices in his performance. He has no understanding of teh meaning or internal logic of either song, just batting out words in the weirdest arhythmic way, and seems to have little to no understanding of even how to breathe correctly as a singer.

He's filled with cliches in all his performance tics and really sounds like an amateur with an over-inflated opinion of themselves more than anything else.

The WORST single performance on any Prince record, ever.

Interesting that he has to tell you how soulful he is and how musical he is in his NAME.... because you sure won't get that from listening to him sing. Jeez. Atrocious. Just atrocious. There is absolutely no soul in his singing and virtually no music, either. mad mad mad

A shame because it unbalances an otherwise fun and funky aftershow jam.

[Edited 6/26/20 6:34am]

Oh I did - I love this album. It's the sort of stuff you'd expect of an aftershow and the type of jamming that often doesn't have a place on the main show. And I totally agree; that Musiq part is so out of place. It sounds afwul. like he couldn't decide to rap or sing and does whatever regardless of what is happening around him musically. No doubt the aftershows contain better material than this choice. But I bought it and I love it smile

The HQ-er formerly known as krokostimpy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/28/20 8:53am

leecaldon

This certainly works better as a piece if you add the digital release of NPG in This Funky House / All the Critics Love U in Paris. But Peach and Girls & Boys became pernnial house party dance tunes for me in the 00s.

What does everyone think of the cover? I always felt its composition and quality wasn't up to scratch, even if it does capture some of the aftershow vibe.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/28/20 2:18pm

RODSERLING

I hated when it was released back then.
Now I find it boring, besides Joy In Repetition and Dorothy Parker.
.
The parts with Musiq Soulchild and George Clinton are a pain in the ass. Why did he do that?
There is a track called Peach even if there is nothing of Peach in it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/28/20 11:47pm

leecaldon

RODSERLING said:

I hated when it was released back then. Now I find it boring, besides Joy In Repetition and Dorothy Parker. . The parts with Musiq Soulchild and George Clinton are a pain in the ass. Why did he do that? There is a track called Peach even if there is nothing of Peach in it.

It's not the Peach we know, but it is funky as hell.

Still, theres 25 mins space left on that CD - what an inexplicable wasted opportunity. What Prince aftershow lasts under an hour?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/29/20 12:24am

udo

avatar

Did they alter the tracklisting or is it still an edit from the full show(s)?

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/29/20 4:30am

zobilamouche

avatar

leecaldon said:

This certainly works better as a piece if you add the digital release of NPG in This Funky House / All the Critics Love U in Paris. But Peach and Girls & Boys became pernnial house party dance tunes for me in the 00s.

What does everyone think of the cover? I always felt its composition and quality wasn't up to scratch, even if it does capture some of the aftershow vibe.

it seemed they were going for some grunge feel type of font but it doesn't work well. Made it very 90s. There are also better images in the booklet but the image that was used is not bad perse but not made to stand out. So for me, not superb but certainlt not the disaster that was Emancipation.

The HQ-er formerly known as krokostimpy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > ONE NITE ALONE... THE AFTERSHOW: IT AINT OVER! (2LP / PURPLE / 150G)