independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What is your opinion of the 3121 album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/21/20 5:57am

SoftSkarlettLo
visa

What is your opinion of the 3121 album?

I like it. It's a timecapscule of Prince's continued return to the mainstream following Musicology. Some people called the album "dull" - I get Prince sounded a bit laidback in some tracks,but I think it's a decent introduction for the Millennials.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/21/20 7:14am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/21/20 7:44am

SantanaMaitrey
a

I like it. It's a good mix of the old fashioned Mpls sound and the r&b sound of the time and it's got some really good songs. I had given up on Prince after Rainbow Children, too much pseudo jazz, too much preaching, at least he went back to making good, funky songs. Together with Musicology and Lotusflower, this would be my top 3 of the 2000s.
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/21/20 7:50am

jdcxc

“3121” the song is extremely underrated...belongs in his brilliantly weird and funky file.

Like all Prince albums, some great songs and songwriting in the set...The sophomoric and cringeworthy lyrics to Lolita are the exception tho.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/21/20 8:05am

Empress

jdcxc said:

“3121” the song is extremely underrated...belongs in his brilliantly weird and funky file. Like all Prince albums, some great songs and songwriting in the set...The sophomoric and cringeworthy lyrics to Lolita are the exception tho.

Yes, I agree with you. It's a good album with several great songs, but Lolita is cheesy for sure.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/21/20 8:18am

RJOrion

ahout the same as NPS... one of his 5 or 6 worst albums
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/21/20 8:19am

SanMartin

avatar

It was the first post-WB album I got. I bought it in 2011 on the same day as ATWIAD. It was a very pleasant surprise and thoroughly disproved the 'everything Prince did after the 80s is shit' prejudice that floats around sometimes.


True, it's not one of Prince's most envelope-pushing records. Contrary to one of the previous posters, I think TRC is his best album of the 2000s, one of his most creative works overall, and WAY less shrill in its religious message than I'd been led to believe. Nonetheless, 3121 is very competently executed. I won't go through every song 'cause no one's asked me to, so I'll just point out a couple of highlights.


The title track was probably his most effective album-opener since Thunder, only outdone afterwards by the 1-2-3 punch of From the Lotus/Boom/Crimson and Clover three years later.


Beautiful, Loved and Blessed
has got be one of Prince's best duets. It's no U Got the Look but it is more tasteful than, say, Arms of Orion. Blasphemy warning: Take Me With U is catchier and more "important", but I wouldn't say it's substantially better than Beautiful, Loved and Blessed.


I'll say something bad too, fear not. I know Incense and Candles tends to be the most derided song on the album, but I'm more bothered by Get On the Boat. It's ok, and that's the problem: it's fine, but nothing more. I'd argue that ending on a good song is more important than starting on one, and Get On the Boat is a perfectly serviceable but ultimately uninspiring funk song. It's not funny like Prettyman and it hasn't got the energy of FunkNRoll. Shame, really.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/21/20 8:21am

sexton

avatar

Best Prince album of the 21st century.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/21/20 8:46am

rlittler81

avatar

Probably my favourite album from his post-WB years... funk and funky. Loads better than Musicology and Planet Earth, plus the era reminded me of 1994-1995 with the magazine, movie, concepts etc, quite a creative time.

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/21/20 9:27am

jaawwnn

avatar

It's probably one of his better balanced 21st century albums, along with Art Official Age. The title track always sounded like it should have been a hit, at least to me. It might be trying a little hard to please everyone - I'd say as fans we'd prefer the raw tracks that ended up being the bulk of this, Planet Earth and Lotusflow3r - but it doesn't lose itself the way some of his other commercial attempts do.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/21/20 9:31am

williamb610

As far as Prince albums, I only like select songs here or there, since Crystal Ball in 1998. I did buy Art Official Age and PlectrumElectrum, though there are several songs on each that I don't like. As far as 3121, I didn't buy it, nor did I like any songs off the album.

The songs were corny adult contemporary not the experimental, edgy, try new things Prince that I like.

[Edited 7/21/20 9:32am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/21/20 9:37am

LoveGalore

I mean, it's pretty cheesy, Prince by the numbers. He probably recorded Lolita and Fury to shut people up about the Revolution sound being absent from his Musicology comeback. Black Sweat is cool and the title track is a scorcher. The Dance is wonderful. It's a perfectly fine album.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/21/20 12:03pm

dodger

After quite liking Te Amo Corazon prior to release and being blown away by the album opener, it instantly took me back to Days Of Wild, I was quickly brought back down to earth by Lolita.
.
It has some decent tracks like Fury, The Word, The Dance and I like Black Sweat even though the screeching spoils it a bit but nothing as great as the title track for me
[Edited 7/21/20 12:08pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/21/20 12:08pm

TheEnglishGent

avatar

I really like most of it. Not a big fan of BLAB though, goes on for far too long for me.

RIP sad
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/21/20 1:59pm

Nikeze

Listened to it a lot when it was first out, and really liked it. That cooled off pretty quickly and I hadn't listened to it for probably 10+ years.

Then took it out for a spin in the car a couple of years back and really got in to it.

Biggest surprise was The Dance. I never cared for it first time, but this time round, I think its incredible. For me 8/12 tracks are great. Couple that are ok, and a couple of stinkers.

Outside the top 10 for me but def top 15.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/21/20 2:49pm

SantanaMaitrey
a

TheEnglishGent said:

I really like most of it. Not a big fan of BLAB though, goes on for far too long for me.


Yeah, well, it's impossible to like something called blab now, is it? confused
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/21/20 4:59pm

Moonbeam

avatar

sexton said:

Best Prince album of the 21st century.


I agree. It's my 10th favorite Prince album and my favorite of the 21st century. It improved on Musicology in many ways, managing a great balance between contemporary RnB sounds and Princely weirdness.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/21/20 5:51pm

fen

avatar

jdcxc said:

“3121” the song is extremely underrated...belongs in his brilliantly weird and funky file. Like all Prince albums, some great songs and songwriting in the set...The sophomoric and cringeworthy lyrics to Lolita are the exception tho.

Yeah, that was the track with which Prince recaptured my interest after years of not really listening. I heard that old minilmalist, experimental magic again. The dissonant guitar stuff which underpins the whole track is just brilliant - Camille was back in duet. biggrin Same with Black Sweat - not as strong, but showed a restraint that I hadn't heard in his music for a while. The standouts on 3121 are great, but some of the rest reminded me of why I'd stopped listening in the first place unfortunately. I didn't appreciate his use of auto-pitch-correction at all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/21/20 5:52pm

fen

avatar

jaawwnn said:

It's probably one of his better balanced 21st century albums, along with Art Official Age. The title track always sounded like it should have been a hit, at least to me. It might be trying a little hard to please everyone - I'd say as fans we'd prefer the raw tracks that ended up being the bulk of this, Planet Earth and Lotusflow3r - but it doesn't lose itself the way some of his other commercial attempts do.

Bit strange to have been a mainstream hit I think.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/21/20 11:19pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

"Love" is the gem here. And it's not production, it's the lyrics. I've never felt a Prince lyric (at least not in a long while to that point) as I did "Love." We've all had many, many moments with his lyrics, but he was just speaking to my spirit in that song.

Again, Prince was really ahead of the curve here. And while he sort of addressed drama and haters in the past (eg: "Hello," "Pearls B4 The Swine," "I Hate U," "Billy Jack Bitch,"), this could really be a song now talking about wannabe influencers, wannabe gurus and other social media types who get caught up in subtweeting this person or making apology videos about that, or spillin' tea, being fake, etc etc. Millennials and Gen Z get caught up in that. Yet 14 years ago, Prince was laying that shit out and telling people what not to get distracted with or by.

I wish the production was better but maybe that would've taken away from the message. It's truly a message that needs to be heard in 2020.

"3121" is a funk workout that goes unplayed and unmentioned way too often.It's almost like something that could have been on Come. "Te Amo Corazon," "The Dance," "Fury" also stand outs. "Satisfied" really throws back to shit like "International Lover" and "Do Me, Baby." Oddly, my least favorite is "Black Sweat." It's piercing to the ears, and I don't like it in the falsetto. "Get On The Boat" is fun musically, but lyrically he starts to lose me a bit w/ the leftover Rainbow Children dogma. Same with "The Word," although it's interesting to hear him harken back to spiders as he did on Lovesexy.

I used to have a Planet:3121 playlist that took the absolute best from Musicology, 3121, & Planet Earth and made one stellar album. They're definitely a trilogy of sorts, and it's sort of cool that his next album actually was a trilogy set.

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/21/20 11:34pm

Toofunkyinhere

The hooks weren't really there for me on this one, it's a little bland overall. Still a couple of great tracks though, "Love" could've been a big hit. I liked Planet Earth better.
We're here, might as well get into it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/22/20 1:10am

ForceofNature

The track "3121" is probably the most 80s Prince track since the 80s

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/22/20 1:29am

leecaldon

jdcxc said:

“3121” the song is extremely underrated...belongs in his brilliantly weird and funky file. Like all Prince albums, some great songs and songwriting in the set...The sophomoric and cringeworthy lyrics to Lolita are the exception tho.

And it's a whole different brilliant when it's live. Probably the song I looked forward to most on 21 Nights in London run.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/22/20 1:48am

jaawwnn

avatar

fen said:

jaawwnn said:

It's probably one of his better balanced 21st century albums, along with Art Official Age. The title track always sounded like it should have been a hit, at least to me. It might be trying a little hard to please everyone - I'd say as fans we'd prefer the raw tracks that ended up being the bulk of this, Planet Earth and Lotusflow3r - but it doesn't lose itself the way some of his other commercial attempts do.

Bit strange to have been a mainstream hit I think.

Yeah probably, and I wouldn't be a big fan of US pop music circa 2006 so I suppose I mean an "alt" hit.

Not a whole lot of good memories for me from this list.

[Edited 7/22/20 1:49am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/22/20 2:21am

dodger

TrivialPursuit said:

"Love" is the gem here. And it's not production, it's the lyrics. I've never felt a Prince lyric (at least not in a long while to that point) as I did "Love." We've all had many, many moments with his lyrics, but he was just speaking to my spirit in that song.

Again, Prince was really ahead of the curve here. And while he sort of addressed drama and haters in the past (eg: "Hello," "Pearls B4 The Swine," "I Hate U," "Billy Jack Bitch,"), this could really be a song now talking about wannabe influencers, wannabe gurus and other social media types who get caught up in subtweeting this person or making apology videos about that, or spillin' tea, being fake, etc etc. Millennials and Gen Z get caught up in that. Yet 14 years ago, Prince was laying that shit out and telling people what not to get distracted with or by.

I wish the production was better but maybe that would've taken away from the message. It's truly a message that needs to be heard in 2020.

"3121" is a funk workout that goes unplayed and unmentioned way too often.It's almost like something that could have been on Come. "Te Amo Corazon," "The Dance," "Fury" also stand outs. "Satisfied" really throws back to shit like "International Lover" and "Do Me, Baby." Oddly, my least favorite is "Black Sweat." It's piercing to the ears, and I don't like it in the falsetto. "Get On The Boat" is fun musically, but lyrically he starts to lose me a bit w/ the leftover Rainbow Children dogma. Same with "The Word," although it's interesting to hear him harken back to spiders as he did on Lovesexy.

I used to have a Planet:3121 playlist that took the absolute best from Musicology, 3121, & Planet Earth and made one stellar album. They're definitely a trilogy of sorts, and it's sort of cool that his next album actually was a trilogy set.

I forgot about Love. Agree, that is a great track.

.

A DJ here in Liverpool made a cool mix of it back then. I was in my friends car, who was into dance music, and was stunned to hear 'I see you standing with your back on the wall...' getting mixed into another track

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/22/20 2:25am

wildgoldenhone
y

Beautiful, Loved, and Blessed is a personal song about his spiritual journey,
about his baptism and finding truth, one of my favorites in that album.
Love reveals a lot that seemed to be going on in his marriage, unfortunately.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/22/20 2:37am

NouveauDance

avatar

A better effort at the same idea as Musicology, but still largely flat and dull except for a couple of obvious standouts. A perfunctory pop album that fulfilled its intended job commercially, but failed to go barely one step beyond that musically.

.

The goodwill it receives is largely down to home turf fans' rose-tinted glasses for the commercial comeback of the era, there were much better albums released after it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/22/20 6:55am

SPYZFAN1

Not crazy about the album, but I did like "Black Sweat"....a good return to some nasty sounding funk from him. I also liked the video.....I enjoyed his "3121" TV appearances on SNL and the BET awards show too.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/22/20 7:26am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Everyone seems to agree that it's better than Musicology, so I'm just piping up to disasgree. I like Musicology better. Then again, I've always preferred a warm 'band' sound. The title track on 3121 is sublime, but I don't have a lot of time for the rest. I don't DISlike the album, but when it comes to Prince, there are 1000 better songs to be listening to.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/22/20 7:57am

Nasalhair

"Black Sweat" is the only thing on it that I'd still listen to today. Never cared for the rest of it at all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What is your opinion of the 3121 album?