independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Enough Time For Another Super Deluxe Before The End Of 2020 ?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/30/20 8:42pm

kewlschool

avatar

RODSERLING said:

kewlschool said:

Not cost effective. Besides, they are probably working on Parade Super Deluxe for next year. Gold Experience wont get a re-release until the legal suit is resolved. (TMBGITW law suit).

The Sony re releases sellls like 20.000 worldwide, divided by 12 tracks the claimer of the rights would get like 100 dollars. I can't believe this is what holding Gold to be re-released.

I think they want their percentages from all forms of money generated by the TMBGITW starting with the original maxi-single and the Gold experience album release. Not just the reissue.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/30/20 9:01pm

RODSERLING

kewlschool said:



RODSERLING said:


kewlschool said:

Not cost effective. Besides, they are probably working on Parade Super Deluxe for next year. Gold Experience wont get a re-release until the legal suit is resolved. (TMBGITW law suit).



The Sony re releases sellls like 20.000 worldwide, divided by 12 tracks the claimer of the rights would get like 100 dollars. I can't believe this is what holding Gold to be re-released.

I think they want their percentages from all forms of money generated by the TMBGITW starting with the original maxi-single and the Gold experience album release. Not just the reissue.



Yes, of course but :
1) You can't prevent a song to be released, plagiarism or not, it belongs to the estate, Sony...
2) A physical re release won't change the calculations for the royalties since 1994.
.
There was a 15 years legal battle for Jackson's You Are Not Alone about plagiarism.
This never prevented the song to be released on History, Number Ones, The Essential, Ultimate Collection, King of Pop...So in itself the song sold about 45 millions albums/singles worldwide, much more than TMBGITW.
.
Moreover, the terrible version on Gold is far from the original version, which is closer to the song that is supposed to be plagiarized.
And surely this is why there is this terrible remix on Gold instead of the original single.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/31/20 12:50am

andrewm7

At the risk of being off topic, releasing another superdeluxe box set before the end of 2020 would seem to be a very poorly adapted strategy to meet the times.

-Streaming and internet delivery are functional and ubiquitous at the moment worldwide.

-manufacturing and distribution of box sets of records or CDS internationally is logistically more difficult now than at about any other time for the last 100 years.

-The stakeholders (Estate , Warners, Sony) should partner with an existing international music streaming service, and deliver paid streams and downloads to a uniquely captive audience.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/31/20 1:42am

The777Man

andrewm7 said:

At the risk of being off topic, releasing another superdeluxe box set before the end of 2020 would seem to be a very poorly adapted strategy to meet the times.

-Streaming and internet delivery are functional and ubiquitous at the moment worldwide.

-manufacturing and distribution of box sets of records or CDS internationally is logistically more difficult now than at about any other time for the last 100 years.

-The stakeholders (Estate , Warners, Sony) should partner with an existing international music streaming service, and deliver paid streams and downloads to a uniquely captive audience.

I understand your point but strongly disagree from a fan perspective.

I much prefer CDs to just downloads. It's also great to get the booklet with detailed info and also trivia and comments by people involved with making the album like Susan Rogers, The Revolution members for the Purple Rain Deluxe etc.

I think there's enough demand still for this special type of release. Like I said earlier, I hope there's a Super Deluxe release for every of his regular physical relesase except for perhaps N.E.W.S. I would love even a Musiclogy Super Deluxe with the same format; CD, Singles and B-sides, Vault songs, live album and live DVD.

Hopefully we will get a few more of the Super Deluxes. Parade has been rumored for awhile and perhaps Batman and Graffiti Bridge as well since Warner holds the rights to those albums. Anything else is unfortunatly unlikely due to Sony taking over the rights to the albums but don't have rights for the vault material.

We will see what happens.

The777Man

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/01/20 6:35am

udo

avatar

lustmealways said:

I'm predicting a December 2020 release... either another Originals, something live, or some kind of dumb one-off a la P&M83

.

I will preorder some popcorn to see what they make of these this time.

But I do hope for the best.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/04/20 2:17am

cosmoplastic

avatar

HamsterHuey said:

Wasn't the Singles Box enough of a surprise? Was for my wallet, so I had to bow out, as I am just an Average Joe that just bought the Super Deluxe set on vinyl. So... no more releases this year or I'll be REALLY cross.

No it was not.

21st Century Schizoid Funkateer
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/04/20 10:10am

yukoncornelius

No

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/04/20 10:27am

fortuneandsere
ndipity

I prefer the Prince Vault Youtube way of doing things. Albums compiled as albums that you can edit down, rearrange to your liking. A proper album feels like a good friend. Super Deluxe editions feel like an untrustworthy friend who's after your money. Dats just me doe, foe. First world problems, eh?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/04/20 11:17am

cosmoplastic

avatar

cosmoplastic said:

HamsterHuey said:

Wasn't the Singles Box enough of a surprise? Was for my wallet, so I had to bow out, as I am just an Average Joe that just bought the Super Deluxe set on vinyl. So... no more releases this year or I'll be REALLY cross.

No it was not.

8--)~

21st Century Schizoid Funkateer
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/04/20 11:45am

fortuneandsere
ndipity

The777Man said:

I understand your point but strongly disagree from a fan perspective.

I much prefer CDs to just downloads. It's also great to get the booklet with detailed info and also trivia and comments by people involved with making the album like Susan Rogers, The Revolution members for the Purple Rain Deluxe etc.

I think there's enough demand still for this special type of release. Like I said earlier, I hope there's a Super Deluxe release for every of his regular physical relesase except for perhaps N.E.W.S. I would love even a Musiclogy Super Deluxe with the same format; CD, Singles and B-sides, Vault songs, live album and live DVD.

Hopefully we will get a few more of the Super Deluxes. Parade has been rumored for awhile and perhaps Batman and Graffiti Bridge as well since Warner holds the rights to those albums. Anything else is unfortunatly unlikely due to Sony taking over the rights to the albums but don't have rights for the vault material.

We will see what happens.

The777Man


20ten deluxe only, in keeping with the artist's original vision. Prince would not have given these deluxe editions his blessing.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/04/20 1:03pm

namepeace

kewlschool said:

Not cost effective. Besides, they are probably working on Parade Super Deluxe for next year. Gold Experience wont get a re-release until the legal suit is resolved. (TMBGITW law suit).


Parade is 35 in 2021 so that could work.

I wonder how much overlap Parade SDE would share with SOTT SDE. I suppose Parade SDE would cover post-ATWIAD and pre-Parade outtakes and unreleased material? Maybe we'd get the Detroit show or one of the Wembley show(s) for the live content?

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/05/20 10:39am

TrcikyChristop
her

andrewm7 said:

At the risk of being off topic, releasing another superdeluxe box set before the end of 2020 would seem to be a very poorly adapted strategy to meet the times.

-Streaming and internet delivery are functional and ubiquitous at the moment worldwide.

-manufacturing and distribution of box sets of records or CDS internationally is logistically more difficult now than at about any other time for the last 100 years.

-The stakeholders (Estate , Warners, Sony) should partner with an existing international music streaming service, and deliver paid streams and downloads to a uniquely captive audience.

NUGS.NET would be the perfect platform. I've said this before.

Springsteen's and others' downloads are powered by Nugs. Physical and digital downloads for all albums AND shows, including lossless options.

http://live.brucespringst...fault.aspx

Nugs also allows livecasts, VOD downloads, etc. Not sure if Springsteen has any downloads on his site other than audio, but I do know Nugs has video options available.

It would be a no-brainer for the estate to host all shows, audio and video, etc. along with all discography in a new NPGMC-style website. Springsteen's site looks pretty sleek and informative, but it's all Nugs under the hood, Very well done. The people who want the shows will just buy them, on demand, probably very little manufacturing costs.

I would make it completely separate from Nugs' own Spotify-esque subscription service, though.

[Edited 8/5/20 10:40am]

[Edited 8/5/20 11:43am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/05/20 11:16am

December1984

avatar

I have a friend who works for one of the major movie studios, and with production shut down due to COVID-19, he said the studio is turning to repackaging and rereleasing existing products to generate revenue. Assuming the record industry is also struggling, I could see them speeding up the release dates for the deluxe Prince remasters. Not claiming to have any insider info that that’s happening, though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/05/20 6:46pm

kewlschool

avatar

December1984 said:

I have a friend who works for one of the major movie studios, and with production shut down due to COVID-19, he said the studio is turning to repackaging and rereleasing existing products to generate revenue. Assuming the record industry is also struggling, I could see them speeding up the release dates for the deluxe Prince remasters. Not claiming to have any insider info that that’s happening, though.

I along with some business friends expect an economic slow down starting in November to last through (summer or longer)?

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/05/20 6:47pm

kewlschool

avatar

namepeace said:

kewlschool said:

Not cost effective. Besides, they are probably working on Parade Super Deluxe for next year. Gold Experience wont get a re-release until the legal suit is resolved. (TMBGITW law suit).


Parade is 35 in 2021 so that could work.

I wonder how much overlap Parade SDE would share with SOTT SDE. I suppose Parade SDE would cover post-ATWIAD and pre-Parade outtakes and unreleased material? Maybe we'd get the Detroit show or one of the Wembley show(s) for the live content?

I suspect we will get the Birthday show on DVD.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/08/20 5:19pm

SixDemonBag

I would love to get Lovesexy era as the next SDE.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/08/20 9:27pm

kewlschool

avatar

SixDemonBag said:

I would love to get Lovesexy era as the next SDE.

Lovesexy could be after Parade Super Deluxe There is just a lot of music you can put on the Parade Super deluxe. Where as Lovesexy was recorded so fast that I don't believe there is enough new material to create a super deluxe perhaps a regular deluxe. I could be wrong.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/09/20 8:39am

udo

avatar

kewlschool said:

SixDemonBag said:

I would love to get Lovesexy era as the next SDE.

Lovesexy could be after Parade Super Deluxe There is just a lot of music you can put on the Parade Super deluxe. Where as Lovesexy was recorded so fast that I don't believe there is enough new material to create a super deluxe perhaps a regular deluxe. I could be wrong.

.

10 discs of tour rehearsals?

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/09/20 8:47am

lustmealways

avatar

kewlschool said:

namepeace said:


Parade is 35 in 2021 so that could work.

I wonder how much overlap Parade SDE would share with SOTT SDE. I suppose Parade SDE would cover post-ATWIAD and pre-Parade outtakes and unreleased material? Maybe we'd get the Detroit show or one of the Wembley show(s) for the live content?

I suspect we will get the Birthday show on DVD.

was filmed on... film, so anything less than a blu ray would be a waste.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/09/20 1:09pm

SixDemonBag

udo said:



kewlschool said:




SixDemonBag said:


I would love to get Lovesexy era as the next SDE.

Lovesexy could be after Parade Super Deluxe There is just a lot of music you can put on the Parade Super deluxe. Where as Lovesexy was recorded so fast that I don't believe there is enough new material to create a super deluxe perhaps a regular deluxe. I could be wrong.



.


10 discs of tour rehearsals?




I was thinking more Lovesexy Live DVD and the aftershow and maybe the tracks that would have comprised Rave.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/09/20 1:59pm

woogiebear

PARADE should be the NEXT Super Deluxe, whether it's the end of 2020 or early 2021. Perhaps THAT would unlock the ROADHOUSE GARDEN, and include the 1986 Birthday Concert DVD. Just My 2 cents!!!

cool cool cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/09/20 4:48pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

The777Man said:

Like I said earlier, I hope there's a Super Deluxe release for every of his regular physical relesase except for perhaps N.E.W.S.

Why not N.E.W.S.? You're in favor of sweeping catalogue consistency except in the case of N.E.W.S.? We should treat every album the same except N.E.W.S. because..... you're not a fan of it?.. so pretend it never existed?

[Edited 8/9/20 16:49pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/10/20 1:44am

The777Man

WhisperingDandelions said:

The777Man said:

Like I said earlier, I hope there's a Super Deluxe release for every of his regular physical relesase except for perhaps N.E.W.S.

Why not N.E.W.S.? You're in favor of sweeping catalogue consistency except in the case of N.E.W.S.? We should treat every album the same except N.E.W.S. because..... you're not a fan of it?.. so pretend it never existed?

[Edited 8/9/20 16:49pm]

The reason why i mentioned N.E.W.S is that is instrumental and i think recorded in a day so maybe not much other material will fit from the same time frame but okay, sure, let's get a Super Deluxe N.E.W.S as well.

The777Man

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/10/20 4:56am

Se7en

avatar

The777Man said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

Why not N.E.W.S.? You're in favor of sweeping catalogue consistency except in the case of N.E.W.S.? We should treat every album the same except N.E.W.S. because..... you're not a fan of it?.. so pretend it never existed?

[Edited 8/9/20 16:49pm]

The reason why i mentioned N.E.W.S is that is instrumental and i think recorded in a day so maybe not much other material will fit from the same time frame but okay, sure, let's get a Super Deluxe N.E.W.S as well.

The777Man


Curious - would the "compass folding" cover of N.E.W.S. be enlarged for a vinyl release? That could be very cool!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/11/20 12:42pm

namepeace

SixDemonBag said:

I would love to get Lovesexy era as the next SDE.


If so would love to get the Live in Germany show as the concert content. But they may not have the rights to that one.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 08/11/20 11:32pm

udo

avatar

namepeace said:

SixDemonBag said:

I would love to get Lovesexy era as the next SDE.


If so would love to get the Live in Germany show as the concert content. But they may not have the rights to that one.

.

Why?

That show has been released in various formats already.

Even bootlegs were made.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 08/12/20 8:14am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

RODSERLING said:

kewlschool said:

I think they want their percentages from all forms of money generated by the TMBGITW starting with the original maxi-single and the Gold experience album release. Not just the reissue.

Yes, of course but : 1) You can't prevent a song to be released, plagiarism or not, it belongs to the estate, Sony... 2) A physical re release won't change the calculations for the royalties since 1994. . There was a 15 years legal battle for Jackson's You Are Not Alone about plagiarism. This never prevented the song to be released on History, Number Ones, The Essential, Ultimate Collection, King of Pop...So in itself the song sold about 45 millions albums/singles worldwide, much more than TMBGITW. . Moreover, the terrible version on Gold is far from the original version, which is closer to the song that is supposed to be plagiarized. And surely this is why there is this terrible remix on Gold instead of the original single.


Wasn't that because Prince was allowed to release the single independantly, so he owned the single version and then WB had a different version for the album?

RIP sad
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 08/13/20 9:54am

namepeace

udo said:

namepeace said:


If so would love to get the Live in Germany show as the concert content. But they may not have the rights to that one.

.

Why?

That show has been released in various formats already.

Even bootlegs were made.


I haven't found a good copy on DVD, and I have the region 1 releases on VHS, but no region 1 player.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Enough Time For Another Super Deluxe Before The End Of 2020 ?